Sunday 12 October 2014

Thanksgiving.


There is rhythmic drumbeat of rain drops falling from the sky, hitting branches and soggy leaves that dampen the sound. Cars crescendo and pass slowly in the background creating the composition of a lazy sunday.  Today is a wet grey day, and even the air feels damp and heavy.    I look out my window and see an array of shades of green and question if it could really be thanksgiving long weekend in Winnipeg.  

 I am far away from the people I love, there are provinces that separate us.   I find that this particular holiday inflicts a strange sort of pain in my heart.   Previous thanksgivings we would find our selves in our secluded cabin, where we congregated around a fire or the living room and life would happen together.  For four days we were forced to revisit traditions of the past, like talking to one another and forgetting that technology has weaselled its way in to wreck havoc on communication.  Now as my heart is torn over two provinces, it aches to be with my love and my family.  

Distance does make the heart grow fonder, but it can also play tricks on it as well, heightening the challenge of the situation.   I am thankful for a challenge that can strengthen and refine.   I am thankful to have someone I can be challenged with, and a family that loves and supports me.






No comments:

Post a Comment