Monday 15 September 2014

Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets

 “Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets...”  - Beethoven

Music is a peculiar thing to study.  It is a subject that lingers so close to the heart of many, and is often considered a universal language.  Often I think this degree is downplayed and disregarded by much of the general public.  Despite the fact that Music is a simple passion, it is a complex dream.   This art form, one that I have found myself studying serioulsy for almost 4 years, began as a quest to seek out its secrets.   My intentions were honourable and my motivation unwavering.   I was un-phased by the realities that I saw in the distance, and quickly approaching.   

The problem with studying music is that it is so close to my heart.    My desire to sing initially overflowed, but those waters of passion seem to have dissipated drastically due the list of demands that music now has.  This reality is like little hits that slowly wear you down.  Perhaps it is my skewed perception of what to strive for.   I know that I expect excellence from myself; I strive for perfection, whatever "perfection" may mean that day.   I know and recognize that this is an unattainable trait that becomes like the carrot at the end of the stick.    I find myself walking to practice rooms to make attempts at a search for my art’s secrets, only to leave feeling as though the wind was taken out of my song.  

My question is when does beating out melodies and repeating phrasing relentlessly become more harm than good?  We are required as music students to spend hours locked inside a windowless practice room, to knock off the illusive 10,000 hours.  Pursuing perfection is a disease that affects us all, at least to a certain extent.   In a faculty of exceptional talent, I am ashamed to admit that the yardstick sneaks out from my back pocket to measure where I line up.  According to the standards I set for myself I rarely do.  

One thing that isn’t discussed is how to cope with the stresses of this career path.  I feel that this is vital to a healthy approach and the longevity of an art form as we just approach the trailhead.    What can be done when your love of your art, instrument or song fades?  Where can motivation and purpose be found again?   When you desire a lush passion, and not a dry desert void of desire, where do you go?  



2 comments:

  1. Love this, Alexa! And I have a feeling we all feel this way from time to time and just don't always like to admit it. It's interesting that you brought up the infamous "10,000 hours to mastery". I've started to think recently that we never really finish learning - that no matter how many hours we spend there will always be more to learn, more limits to push. At first that might sound depressing and hopeless, but lately I've found it quite freeing. The notion that everyone in this art form is always learning, that our work is never done. Everyone from a little girl taking her first voice lesson to Joyce Didonato is struggling with something, striving to improve in their own way. The key, in my opinion, however difficult it may be in reality, is to delight in the discoveries and in the learning along the way and to use that measuring stick - but use it to measure yourself and see how far you've come. As for the passion, I like to have practice-room-jam-sessions. Just take a break after some practicing and singing from the heart - forgetting diction and line and placement and all the calculated mind-games we put ourselves through in this crazy art. Sing on and stay strong!

    Elliot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elliot for your comment! You are very wise. I appreciate your perspective on this, and hope I can apply some of that insight to this area in my life.

      Delete