Thursday 2 January 2014

Another year over...

Another year has flown by, and looking back I can see a year filled with change, excitement, worry, stress, good memories and hard decisions.   2013 had me running from the get-go with very little down time, and flew by accordingly.    My new years last year was spent creating this blog, as exciting as that was, made me think this year was going to be quite a little dull.  It has been anything but dull.   Looking back I’ve realized that the challenges in 2013 forced me to make hard decisions, dragged me through difficulty situations while also pushing me outside of my comfort zone.   2013 taught me: 

The importance of "down-time" is invaluable.   Pencil it in. 

Don't be fooled by a beautiful summer and fall - winter will come - it always comes.


Hurt comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, colors and hues, textures and finishes.   It isn't a one size fits all-appropriate for all situations kind of feeling. Even if you think you can expect to foresee the depth of your hurt - it will have more dimension to it upon closer examination.   

Put yourself out there - play the interviewer in just about all situations.   Talking to real people is more satisfying than talking to people via technology.

Never ever (never) take the mountains or ocean for granted.  

Missing someone is like being parched.  And rejection is a bitter taste that lingers.

It is really important to get out of the city for perspective and to watch the sunset. 

We become accustomed responding to an apology with , "it's ok."  that is some ways can justify the wrong doing... We have allowed the phrase, " I forgive you" to be phased out of our colloquial language.  those are three importance words.

People make stupid decisions which lead to stupid mistakes - chalk it up to human nature.

I am wondering now if first impressions are always right.  

A
 relationship that was cut quickly and abruptly leaves frayed ends that perhaps in time will unravel what is left of the relationship, and in time the ability to look back on it will reveal some good.

Distance and time really do make the heart grow fonder.  

"Worry creeps in sometimes unnoticed, almost in disguise.   It is cloaked as the unknown in a thoughts of the future. Maybe people might suggest to avoid these types of thoughts, to just dwell day to day.   I am not that kind of person, and realistically...who is?    Don't we all have to put one foot in front of the other anticipating another step?   Little thoughts of wonder that dig to form holes called worry can be dangerous to ones subconscious.   I try to hold loosely to this "w-word" that comes up constantly.   Often it is easier said than done.

It is hard sometimes to fully risk ones heart be it for someone, or something.   So why do we do it?   Because the reward is worthy of the risk.  I thinks sometimes we stand on the edge of a decision or commitment afraid to throw ourselves in for fear that we might fail miserably and/or that our hearts wouldn't recover.   I tend to keep one foot out at all times, just as a precautionary measure.   But what if I never know life's greatest thrills because of this worry that something might go wrong?"


Practice/write/read/rehearse earlier on in the semester.  Do the grunt work early.
Look for good in each day - even the grey, -47 ones.
Hold on to thoughts that encourage and lift you up and disregard thoughts that drag down.


Dear 2014
You are going to be the year of Adventure.  I am going to seek and find adventure (even in Winterpeg. )  I am going to surprise myself with diligence to practice and study harder than I have ever before.   I am going to feel accomplished vocally.    This year I am going to dive deeper in to relationships and seek out opportunities to bless those around me.   I want to let go of my insecurities and learn to trust people and myself.   I want to feel healthy, strong, and accomplished this year.   I want to pour myself into what I love.   2014 I plan to make you one of my best years yet.  


Alexa




Happy 2014.




 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment