Wednesday 15 January 2014

Why would anyone choose to live in Winnipeg?

Some might wonder why anyone would chose to live in a place that confines you to the in doors for half the year  And for a 1/4 of the months not oppressed by the freezing temperatures, the time is spent battling grey, muddy roads, while the rest of the country is enjoying the first fruits of spring.  The final quarter, the summer months, are infested with bird sized mosquitos and scorching hot temperatures.   Moving to Winnipeg to complete my degree, I had very low expectation for the city.  But since September I can say that Winnipeg has pleasantly surprised me.   






The city is constantly in action, there is always something to see or do.   Between the Royal Winnipeg Ballet and the city's endless supply of festivals a weekend should never be dull.   My favorite treasure that I've discovered about this city is their endless trails for skating.   Growing up in Mountainous BC the idea of trail skating was foreign to me.  But omigoodness, I spent an hour and a half skating - trails.  This blew my mind!   I wasn't confined to a hockey rink, which for me grows dull very quickly. The city has decked out the trails with beautiful lights and on really cold days warming huts.  Bring a flask of hot baileys et voila the night of skating turns into a party.  




On the Manitoba licence plate is says, "Friendly Manitoba." This isn't a bold or obnoxious statement, I have found that people really do live up to that title.   I had one experience when I was flying back to BC where I sat beside an older gentleman who grew up in Winnipeg.   He jumped provinces to enjoy a more mild climate in his retirement, and said this of Winnipeg, "If I were to ever be stuck on the side of the road, I hope I am in Manitoba, because you wouldn't just get picked up within a few minute and dropped off, they'd probably take you home and feed you first, after ensuring that your car was towed."   I like that about Manitoba.   Everyone seems to have the same mentality in regards to being a good neighbor.   There is something down to earth about that, that reflects the city so well. 

My one complaint about living in Manitoba is the weather, which really is the main reason I think why Manitoba gets such a bad rap.   It cannot be controlled and because of this it limits not only fun activities, (Side note: whenever I say that word I immediately think of Step Brothers) and...DUN DUN DUN, clothing choices. (ahoo...#firstwordproblems)   Being from B.C, where rarely you are limited in what you can wear it usually comes down to the question to wear a raincoat or not to wear a rain coat?   That really is the question, and would be the hardest decision in the Bc'ers morning. In the case of "not to wear a rain coat"  you use an umbrella!   Ahh.. we BC'ers have it so easy!!     Winnipeg has literally cramped my style.   I really like getting dressed up and putting a little effort in... but having that come across in Winnipeg is challenging.  So I've been pondering making a list of the necessities to live and function in Winnipeg according to me.  The first list doesn't leave a lot of room for creative expression... the second is my ideal mild-winter day wear. 

For the fiercely Cold Days:
Sorel's 
Wool Socks
Long Underwear
Mittens- not gloves.   (and mittens inside of gloves are counterproductive, I learned that the hard way) 
A warm WIND proof jacket
Scarf
Toque
Handwarmers

Cold-Sunny Days: (When the temperature warms up a bit you start to have more clothing options- Horay!)  
Leather boots - flat (Snow is slippery :O) (Since this is in an ideal (dream) world, Tory Burch, or Fry's)
Wool Socks
Wool Coat ( lets say... Burberry)
Scarf (Alexander McQueen?  Burberry again... or....HERMES!) 
Leather Gloves (Kate Spade, sure why not?!)
Louis Vuitton Never Full...

Moral of the story- your situation is what you make of it.  Perspective is everything.   The magical things about Winnipeg that I just can't get enough of are the old brick buildings that tell of a time when precision and care was put into tiny detail work, the epic pink sunsets that seem to last for hours, and the clear nights where the stars are so crystal clear.   Its finding the little things and letting them be big. 

Happy Wednesday




No comments:

Post a Comment