Saturday 11 May 2013

California here we come

This last week was filled to the brim with adventures and hours in the car.    I was fortunate enough to be included on a road-trip with one of my besties and her mom.   Together we roamed the Californian country side making our way up from Palm Springs back to Canada.   The adventure revealed a couple things to me... 

One: I am a California girl at heart.  The coastline took my breath away, and almost made me want to hide from my ride and live the beach bum life.   This desire was solidified when at our first beach stop we saw a pod of dolphins swimming past the stand up paddle boarders in front of us.  My conscience got the better of me, and I hopped right back in the car.
Two:  I realised how much land there is in California that is still untouched.   I assumed that California through out would be scathed with hordes of people, much like LA.   I was pleasantly surprised to see that it wasn't.   A couple hours north of LA, reveals a much  more laid back lifestyle than that of the LA-ers. 
Realisation number Three: The second day in Palm Spring it became quite apparent that despite the lack of sunshine it was still possible to burn to the point of resembling a lobster.    Somehow during our mini-vacation in the desert, we managed to swap weather with the lower mainland; we had the mild, windy, grey skies, while BC had the sunshine and the summer like heat.    This swap in weather made me assume little probability of a burn.  I was way off in that assumption.  
Four:   I cannot for the life of me shop under pressure.    I wish I could, I really do!    I may have felt a little pressure, (more than likely put there by moi.) And then BOOM!   I can't shop.   I will look around in a whirlwind searching for the killer deals that I just know are out there....annnnd  85% of the time I will come out empty handed, because I waited for the "steal of a deal."    I am very methodical and analytical when it comes to shopping now.  I think it stems from my poor student status, so I should feel to badly about it.   But I have tried to train myself to know a deal when I see one, and I saw a few on this trip, and I didn't accept them!    Le Sigh, it is a lesson I needed to learn.   Sometimes there is just no point to waiting from something better to come around, because something better might but it will cost you.
Five:   You know those jumping photos, where people are jumping in the photo?    Those are hard to master!     Maybe it has to do with my ancient camera that has been dropped one too many times, or maybe they are just really hard to coordinate!    My dear friend and I attempted to take a "jumping photo" at every stop on our journey. For the most part we accomplished that goal at the expense of at least 50 trial run photos.   
 
 


I would recommend a California Adventure to anyone who A. Likes shopping B. Likes movie stars C. Likes sunshine D. Likes the ocean E. Likes beautiful landscapes or F. Likes anything because California literally has a little bit of everything 

In addition I would recommend at least 24 hours at each stop.  We were on a tight schedule which didn't allow a lot of time for anything unplanned.  


Happy California dreaming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment