Friday 21 March 2014

MEmememememe Meeee....


This year my world has been turned upside down and backwards.   Virtually every singer claims to have sung before they could talk and that it mostly true for me, however, I only fell in love with singing at the tender age of 7.  I have taken singing lessons, and sang in choirs for just as many years, however, this year the program I find myself in has redefined everything I have ever associated with this art form.  The journey, process and pilgrimage to the illustrious and fabled “professional career” or the “near-to perfection” place that it seems so many have attained, is marked with blood, sweat and tears.  The blood might be fake stage blood but blood non-the less.  
Required of a singer is self-awareness acutely attuned to minor minuscule changes to strive for the next musical landmark. Countless hours are clocked in the practice room of singing scales, repeating phrases, words and syllables in incrementally different ways.   To the untrained ear, these antics would sound like the mumblings of a crazy person.  But such is the life of a singer.  This process of perpetually seeking new achievements and accomplishments becomes an addiction because perfection is continually redefined and becomes the carrot at the end of the stick. 

At this level, everyone is exceptional, and has talent to spare.  Sadly there is an epidemic that exists and has plagued a few people and myself as of late. It is a vicious mentality which blinds and debilitates.  I don’t have sight when I look back on how far I have come and my vision is 20/20 when I see how far I have to go.  I see only how I pale in comparison to those around me, and have little patience for my mistakes.   I only share this information to shed light on this mentally that seems to affect all of us to a certain degree.  I am realizing that it begins and ends with how we allow the dialogue to go in our minds.   The reality of a singer is that there are always expectations, but there are also days when we are only able to give 60%.  A very wise teacher of mine once said that not every day will be a 100% day, so if it is only a 60% day, make it your best 60%.  We need to be kind to ourselves and recognize the hard work it has taken to get us to where we are today.  It is vitally important to have perspective on this passion and art form, and to turn down the volume of the negative thoughts we sometimes view as fuel.   A friend of mine posed the question, that if our inner dialogue came from a person, would we keep them as a friend?  
 
I may have already discussed this quote on here but it is just so good I have to remind myself of it again.  

"Comparison IS the thief of joy."   -   Theodore Roosevelt
 

No comments:

Post a Comment