Tuesday 25 March 2014

The Secret Life of...



I finally saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.   This has been one of my favorite movies since my grade 8 English teacher let us take up an entire two classes to watch the original with Danny Kaye.   First of all I adore Danny Kaye, he is a comedic genius and simply a fantastic actor in my books.    I have a photo of the late great actor on my wall; actually it is a still from the original movie.   I can't remember what it was I loved about the film, only that I did.  I sat in rapture of the VHS I was watching.  For those of you who aren't familiar with this archaic word, it was back in the dark ages when the tapes were about the size of a Kleenex box and as loud as generators.  I have sought to find and re-watch this movie to rekindle my affections for it, but it has proved to be difficult and/or almost impossible.   I was thrilled to hear that they were remaking this classic, and somehow I managed to miss it while it was new in theatres.  

The 2013 version of this epic story succeeded my expectations.   I don't know that is received the best reviews, but in my books it had everything I could have hoped for.  The cinematography was beautiful, the acting was great, the music...  uh. (That’s a blissful, satisfied - uh)  While watching Ben Stiller long board like a pro, I harassed my little brother with imperative remarks- instructing him to watch the film.  My little brother IS cool he pretty much defines the word.  (I may be a little biased)  He, in a lot of ways, reminds me of Ben Stiller’s character, Walter Mitty mid to post metamorphosis.   Aaron is the type of person to backpack through Europe, climb a mountain in the Himalayas, and explore the Middle East while making friends with the Bedouins, surf sand dunes in South America...he is just cool!? 

Not sure why exactly I felt compelled to share all of that but... s
eeing this movie makes me want to throw caution to the wind!  I feel compelled to by a plane ticket to anywhere and live a life that feeds off of new experiences and adventures.   I want to climb a mountain, and explore the outer reaches of civilization.       Uh!   If you haven't seen the movie, WATCH IT!  Find it in a theatre or wait till it comes out, whatever you have to do... just watch it.   Be inspired to be fearless. 

Beautiful things don't ask for attention - The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty. 
 
Danny Kaye as Walter Mitty <3
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment