Monday 10 February 2014

Oceans, Mountains, and Stars

I think that I crave the endlessness of the ocean, and the majesty of mountains, or the expanse of the stars when life becomes a series of pressure points and stresses.   There is something about feeling small in the midst of nature's grandeur that reminds us that our problems, often in the grand scheme of things, are small too.    I ache right now for the serenity that I know the rocky jagged peaks of mountains can offer, to rediscover the tranquility of the sea lapping on the sandy shore, or to feel fresh air rush past my body and fill my empty lungs. There is something simple and uncomplicated in being under a canvas of stars, even though their twinkling constellations ignite finite questions. 

I wonder if these experiences draw us back to our childhood.  
I remember spending hours among my mountains friends, hiking and climbing with boundless energy often too excited to reach our destination to pay close attention to the upward trek. But the view from the top made the endless "5 minutes" worth every effort. 



Days by the sea shore were dreams for a girl like me whose Disney princess equivalent was Ariel. Even after hours of turning over rocks, and collecting sea creatures in a bucket the task never became dull.  Happy to simply be in the presence of the salty air, and the rushing waves, the ocean has always been a source of pleasure for me.  I miss the mysteries of the sea and the feeling of contentment just being by it.   



Late at night my dad, telescope in hand would walk his three kids out into an empty field to simply look up.   Armed with my dad's infinite knowledge of the star and skies- at least from my childhood perspective, the stars became a playground of imagination.   We would discover Cassiopeia, or Orien... and suddenly the stars danced before their dark curtain of sky. 


This BC girl is missing the comforts of home...and trying to find contentment in the flat winter world of Winnipeg.  

No comments:

Post a Comment