Tuesday 4 February 2014

Days like that






My favorite moment over the weekend was the realization that it was warm enough for a walk OUTSIDE.   I opted out of sweating-it-out in the “Gritty Grotto,” the university gym which could easily double as the set from the “Beat It” music video. Instead I explored Winterpeg’s outdoors for the first time in forever.  The sun shone brightly and happily, as if it missed me and (very) gently kissed my face. My pace quickened when wide open spaces were insight.  A chill swept through the trees and made the air refreshing as I drew it deep into my lungs. 
Nineties pop soothed my soul while I suppressed the urge to sing.  When
I walk and listen to music (which is often), I have to consciously resist the urge to dance, or loudly sing along.  In an ideal world dancing down the street would be an appreciated and accepted mode of transportation!
My heart felt confidently content in the moment, as if my soul was finally, again satisfied.  Reconnected to the nature around me, I took in the moments wishing I had a camera in hand. Constantly I compose photos in my mind and on this glorious day I analyzed the shapes and dark patterns around me.   Naked branches twisting and turning cast a shadow on the white snow, while sunlight made its way through the evergreen to triumphantly peak out from the branches.  I was warm in my parka and I felt my heart agree that this walk was a good decision.  The snow crunched happily under my tread, leaving a trail behind me as I found new frosty land to explore.   It was an afternoon I wished I could prolong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment