Thursday 13 February 2014

The day that is tomorrow

 
 
With the morning off from my opera theatre duties, I decided to reflect on the upcoming Hallmark holiday event - Valentines day.  The day tends to either nauseate, by reducing people into chocolate commas, or create crazy people that can't comprehend not celebrating the famed holiday in style. As a kid, the effect of valentines day were engrained in us throughout elementary school.  With our pick of the Little Mermaid,  Lizzie Maguire, Ninja Turtles, or Power Rangers, our moms would buy us our social stability with the coolest cards.  Somehow we would sit still long enough to carefully write out the names of all our friends, and if we were really nice, or if mom ended up writing them, the entire class list would receive one of our totally cute V-day cards.  Valentine's day was always an excuse for me to dress up, and dress up I would, in my favorite pink dress. I'd throw a scrunchy in my hair and hope for a hoard of handwritten cards delivered to my handcrafted, craft paper mail box.  It wouldn't matter on that day, if everyone had received a card from my crush, that valentine signed with his initials would be pressed to my heart and my world would be showered with cupid's arrows. 

High school revealed a new level of expectation to surrounded the eventful day.   With roses, or chocolates that would be hand delivered to your class... there was an insurmountable amount of hope that lingered, that love would find me in the form of a fragrant flower from my favorite crush. Valentines day since, has morphed from an excuse to get dressed up and hopeful for true love to a sad realization that it is just another day, gift wrapped in hallmark trim and predetermined presumptions about what it should be.  The last few years, I have veered away from celebrating the blessed saint, and instead I observe S.A.D, Singles Awareness Day.   It just seems to be a more fair title for the majority, and the day.  Oh dear, that does sound sad... well, regardless of the title, the day seems to be built on the idea of living up to a standard set by society.    It seems to not only highlight couples in love, but also the individual who isn't.  For the un-inlove person, they can feel left out from the festivities.   So to salute the singles ladies and gentlemen, here are some funny valentine cards just for you:
Let’s Celebrate Anti-Valentine’s Day – 20 Picsfunny valentines card!Valentine / Anti-Valentine Cat Card: Screw You Cupid. I Have Cats.. £2.75, via Etsy.


Funny Valentines

Happy Valentines Day/ Singles Awareness Day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment